Located below you will find the current openings for full and part-time career opportunities at Headwater Food Hub.
If you see an opening that you are interested in applying for please do so by emailing Kathleen at, firstname.lastname@example.org . Be sure to include your resume and a cover letter with any further details you would like to share with us. We look forward to hearing from you!
Current Available Position(s):
Job Title: Produce Manager
Department: Supply Chain
Reports To: Produce Merchant
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary: The Produce Manager works closely with the Produce Merchant and the Operations Team to oversee and/or participate in the routine purchasing, receiving, quality management, inventory, and vendor billing of produce across all Headwater and 3PL partner locations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
(Other duties may be assigned)
- Negotiate prices and place orders daily based on Produce Merchant’s direction (preferred suppliers, stocking levels and pre-orders, product specifications). Coordinate with the Sales, Operations, and Logistics Teams to match Headwater supply needs with supplier availability.
- Handle all daily communications with produce vendors. Actively manage relationships so each supplier understands Headwater’s objectives and expectations. Provide regular report outs to the Produce Merchant about supplier performance issues or successes in order to improve supplier-customer relationships for greater shared success.
- Help generate supply availability forecasts (monthly, quarterly, and annually) from produce suppliers.
- Works with relevant team members to refine forecasts, and develop a consensus forecast, based on current and projected business criteria.
- Support the Operations Team with produce receiving and set intensity of quality control based on following factors:
- Recent supplier or product issues
- Experience working with supplier or product
- New product “launches” (new-to-market, new-to-Headwater, new-to-season)
- Material Specification Documents and Sampling
- Inventory Management: Assist in quality control and shrink/downgrade decisions during weekly inventory. Assists the Operations Team with Inventory Management at all warehouse locations.
- Reconcile and resolve all vendor shipment quantity/quality discrepancies within 24 hours of receipt for PACA-compliance, and document accordingly on order paperwork and in Order Management/ERP system.
- Communicates all supply-related issues/changes with Operations and Sales:
- Producer shipping quantity different than purchase orders
- Producer quality notes
- Collaborates with Accounting to reconcile receipts with vendor invoices and resolve discrepancies, including soliciting missing invoices from vendors
- Log producer excesses and other relevant notes for Produce Merchant to approve for Sales team to offer to customers
- Assist Produce Merchant with various produce-related projects, including product development and strategic category development
- Supports other category buyers (Meat and Grocery) as needed.
- Additional duties:
- Purchases all direct spend/inventoried packaging materials such as Community Programs boxes and bags.
- Assist in writing detailed product specifications into Netsuite
- Help develop and maintain material specification documentation for each material sourced and purchased in order to establish expectations with suppliers and to effectively manage internal quality standards
- Crop planning support
- Assists in gathering/maintaining vendor documentation (e.g. GAPS/organic certifications, grower attestations, product formulation statements, etc.)
- Maintains merchandising/visibility of produce items in webstore
- Continuously seek ways to improve purchasing, planning, production, and operations efficiencies and effectiveness
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Skills/Knowledge - Familiarity with produce and farming operations, as well as produce buying, product receiving, inventory management and basic vendor management.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Internal Customer Service - Responds promptly to internal customer needs (e.g., buyers, salespeople, management); Meets commitments.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Analytical – Some analytical (quantitative and qualitative) skills, including sales projections and financial performance.
- Interpersonal – Exceptional interpersonal skills (including active listening, assertiveness, and written and verbal communication) to effectively work across a wide spectrum of constituents.
- Self-direction – Ability to work independently, coupled with the judgment to periodically seek assistance and direction on complex issues.
Key Measures of Success:
- Timely and accurate produce ordering (minimal stock outs and shrink)
- Product quality or quantity discrepancies addressed appropriate and quickly
- Inventory accuracy
- Gross margin, gross profit, inventory turns, and supplier feedback for the Produce Category