Located below you will find the current openings for full and part-time career opportunities at Headwater Food Hub.
If you see an opening that you are interested in applying for please do so by emailing Kathleen at, firstname.lastname@example.org . Be sure to include your resume and a cover letter with any further details you would like to share with us. We look forward to hearing from you!
Current Available Position(s):
1 - Sales Merchant:
Job Title: Merchant
Department: Supply Chain
Reports to: Director of Supply Chain
FLSA Status: Exempt
- Responsible for the execution and improvement of purchasing, inventory management, supply chain coordination, and vendor development within a particular product category.
- Responsible for meeting the specific supply chain requirements established by any/all of Headwater’s Programs related to the product category.
- Expected to work with Program Directors and Program Development efforts to represent a product category perspective and to manage related communications and activities across stakeholders within that category (farmers, processors, producers, etc.)
- Expected to work with the Operations Team to ensure proper inventory management, communications, and logistics to ensure the successful flow of category products from supply to the end customer.
- Expected to work with Program and Supply Chain Teams to maintain pricing and cost levels to effectively and profitably deliver on Program and business requirements.
- Generate reports and communications for internal and external audiences related to the performance and impact of assigned Product Programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Relationship Management: Actively manage key supplier relationships so each key supplier understands Headwater’s objectives and expectations, and Headwater understands and incorporates theirs. Provide feedback as needed to address supplier performance issues in order to improve future supplier performance. Listen, understand, and bring to Headwater feedback we receive from suppliers regarding issues they are experiencing with Headwater.
- Strengthen supplier-customer relationships through better coordination and communications for greater shared success.
- Interfacing with Customers: Working collaboratively with Headwater’s Program Teams, often in front of customers, to help align customers’ wants and needs with product programs HW offers, including the management of weekly Sales Orders based on purchasing plans with some Key Customers.
- Purchasing: Negotiate and place Purchase Orders with suppliers to ensure the right product is available at the right time. Train, oversee, and support Category Managers (if they exist in the category) to place Purchase Orders with suppliers to ensure the right product is available at the right time.
- Material Sourcing: Identify, evaluate and negotiate supply sources and good vendor partners for key products in the category to ensure cost-effective, values-aligned, resilient supply to support all Headwater Programs.
- Material Specifications: Develop and maintain documented material specifications for each material sourced and purchased in order to establish expectations with suppliers and to effectively manage internal QA standards from Receiving through Order Fulfillment and Distribution. Maintain all product details in information and ordering systems, including product and packaging specifications, pricing, photographs, etc. to support all Sales and Purchase Orders.
- Long Range Planning: Based on sales history and Headwater Program requirements, work with key suppliers and Headwater Supply Chain Team to plan long term supply (including crop/herd/production plans) to reduce risks and costs, and to enhance communications and trust between Headwater and each key supply partner.
- Inventory Oversight: Ensure appropriate inventory levels are maintained for material and distribution requirements, through close coordination of efforts among Category Managers, Logistics, Operations, and Program/Sales Managers.
- Warehouse Operations Support: Support the Operations Team, as needed, to best understand and address issues regarding supplier performance, product/packaging conformance to specification, inventory quality issues, etc. Ensure compliance with all food safety and regulatory requirements and protocols.
- Pricing: Maintain competitive and profitable price levels for each product. Pricing considerations to include customer/program price sensitivities, competitive/alternative price benchmarking and internal profit margin requirements. Exceptional pricing to be reviewed and approved by Headwater Leadership.
Directly oversee and manage any Category Manager(s) related to this category.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Internal Customer Service: Responds promptly to internal customer needs (e.g., buyers, salespeople, management); Meets commitments.
- Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities.
- Quality: Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Quantity: Meets productivity standards; Completes work in a timely manner; Strives to increase productivity.
- Dependability: Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate personnel with an alternate plan.
- Analytical: Strong analytical (quantitative and qualitative) skills, including tracking material category market trends, supply forecasting, inventory tracking, some statistics, and costing.
- Interpersonal: Exceptional interpersonal skills (including active listening, assertiveness, and written and verbal communication) to effectively work across a wide spectrum of constituents.
- Self-direction: Ability to work independently, coupled with the judgment to periodically seek assistance and direction on complex issues.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
- Operations or supply chain experience in food production, processing and/or distribution
- Education and/or Experience - Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or five+ years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience in agriculture business, marketing, supply chain management, horticulture, or other business-related field.
- APICS CPIM certified, including coursework completed toward certificate, is a plus
- Sales, Production line, Agriculture, Grocery or Warehouse experience is a plus.
- Analytical Skills – Ability to quantitatively analyze sales trends, product and category profitability, forecast supply and demand, and benchmark pricing for profitable business.
- Communication Skills - Ability to develop, read, and interpret production and staffing schedules and related documents. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before members of the organization and motivate employees.
- Computer Skills - To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Order Management and Product/Inventory Management systems and processes, Excel, and Word and Google Suite
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Key Measures of Success:
- Gross Profit
- Gross Margin
- Inventory Turns
- Customer Complaints
- Supplier Feedback
2 - Category Manager:
Job Title: Category Manager
Department: Supply Chain
Reports To: Merchant
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Category Manager works closely with the Merchant and the Operations Team to oversee and/or participate in the routine purchasing, receiving, quality management, inventory, and vendor billing across all Headwater and 3PL partner locations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
Other duties may be assigned.
- Negotiate prices and place orders daily based on Merchant’s direction (preferred suppliers, stocking levels and pre-orders, product specifications). Coordinate with the Sales, Operations, and Logistics Teams to match Headwater supply needs with supplier availability.
- Handle all daily communications with category vendors. Actively manage relationships so each supplier understands Headwater’s objectives and expectations. Provide regular report outs to the Merchant about supplier performance issues or successes in order to improve supplier-customer relationships for greater shared success.
- Help generate supply availability forecasts (monthly, quarterly, and annually) from category suppliers.
- Works with relevant team members to refine forecasts, and develop a consensus forecast, based on current and projected business criteria.
- Support the Operations Team with receiving and set intensity of quality control based on following factors:
- Recent supplier or product issues
- Experience working with supplier or product
- New product “launches” (new-to-market, new-to-Headwater, new-to-season)
- Material Specification Documents and Sampling
- Inventory Management: Assist in quality control and shrink/downgrade decisions during weekly inventory. Assists the Operations Team with Inventory Management at all warehouse locations.
- Reconcile and resolve all vendor shipment quantity/quality discrepancies within 24 hours of receipt for PACA-compliance, and document accordingly on order paperwork and in Order Management/ERP system.
- Communicates all supply-related issues/changes with Operations and Sales:
- Producer shipping quantity different than purchase orders
- Producer quality notes
- Collaborates with Accounting to reconcile receipts with vendor invoices and resolve discrepancies, including soliciting missing invoices from vendors
- Log producer excesses and other relevant notes for Merchant to approve for Sales team to offer to customers
- Assist Merchant with various category-related projects, including product development and strategic category development
- Supports other category buyers as needed.
- Additional duties:
- Purchases all direct spend/inventoried packaging materials such as Community Programs boxes and bags.
- Assist in writing detailed product specifications into NetSuite
- Help develop and maintain material specification documentation for each material sourced and purchased in order to establish expectations with suppliers and to effectively manage internal quality standards
- Crop planning support
- Assists in gathering/maintaining vendor documentation (e.g. GAPS/organic certifications, grower attestations, product formulation statements, etc.)
- Maintains merchandising/visibility of items in webstore
- Continuously seek ways to improve purchasing, planning, production, and operations efficiencies and effectiveness
Competencies - To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Skills/Knowledge - Familiarity with produce and farming operations, as well as buying, product receiving, inventory management and basic vendor management.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Internal Customer Service - Responds promptly to internal customer needs (e.g., buyers, salespeople, management); Meets commitments.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in a timely manner; Strives to increase productivity.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Completes tasks on time, or notifies the appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Analytical – Some analytical (quantitative and qualitative) skills, including sales projections and financial performance.
- Interpersonal – Exceptional interpersonal skills (including active listening, assertiveness, and written and verbal communication) to effectively work across a wide spectrum of constituents.
- Self-direction – Ability to work independently, coupled with the judgment to periodically seek assistance and direction on complex issues.
Key Measures of Success:
- Timely and accurate ordering (minimal stock outs and shrink)
- Product quality or quantity discrepancies addressed appropriately and quickly
- Inventory accuracy
- Gross margin, gross profit, inventory turns, and supplier feedback for the Category